It is time for that annual event when Intuit ends support for 3-year-old versions of QuickBooks. Intuit announced for May 31st, 2016, this includes all versions of QuickBooks 2013 (Pro, Premier, Enterprise Solutions, Accountant Edition, and Mac). The services that will stop working include Payroll, Technical Support, Payments (merchant processing), and Online Banking.
This means QuickBooks versions 2014, 2015 and 2016 are still fully supported and have the add-on services. Any version of QuickBooks from 2013 or earlier will still run but it loses add-on features and services that are valuable to many users.
These are the some major affected services:
- Intuit Payroll: QuickBooks will no longer automatically calculate correct payroll taxes, provide payroll forms, or allow you to send your payroll data. The subscription will be inactivated. With Assisted Payroll, tax forms will no longer be filed on your behalf.
- Credit Card Merchant Service Processing: You will not be able to process credit card transactions through QuickBooks 2013 or earlier. It will give the notice “This service is no longer available.”
- Online Banking: QuickBooks will display an error message during an attempt to download transactions, send online payments, or send online transfers.
- Multi-Currency: Users will not be able to download the latest exchange rates.
- Live technical support no longer available for QuickBooks 2013 or earlier.
Most QuickBooks users take advantage of one or more of these services. If you do not think you are affected because you are not using any of these features, it is best that you contact Mendelson consulting to learn how these could help you.
For clarity, QuickBooks Online is not impacted by this end-of-life announcement. QuickBooks Online is a cloud-based software subscription that is continually updated.
If you are using QuickBooks Enterprise and have a current Full Service Plan or Enterprise subscription, then the most recent version of the software is available to you via a free download. Contact us for assistance in upgrading or to evaluate new add-ons to improve the efficiency of your operations.
If you do not currently have a subscription, we can help with exclusive Intuit reseller discount pricing. This is also a good time to evaluate your QuickBooks company file performance. Perhaps it is time to consider making your QuickBooks company data file smaller and faster, especially if you have a lot of company data and notice your QuickBooks running slow when running reports or looking up records.
PS: Anyone using version 2014? You have one year left until end of life…
This Post Has One Comment
After the discontinuation date, any Annual Support Plans you are currently on will continue to work until your annual subscription expires, at which point in order to continue using a support plan, you must upgrade your QuickBooks software.